Thursday, May 8, 2014

Inspiring stories for Father's Day

In honor of fathers everywhere.. fathers who sacrifice, fathers who care and love, I gathered real-life inspiring stories about all kinds of fathers - from a security guard to the everyday heroes on whom we depend for strength, support and encouragement.

Different stories told by fathers themselves or the children who love them, but one thing remains common: no matter how difficult things may be, no matter how hard times may get, you can always count on a dad.


So to dads everywhere we say, Happy Father’s Day!


Alexandra G: When I was 7 years old, my class had a father's day where all the dads came with their kids. I had to explain to everyone that my dad had passed away just a couple of months before. Soon after, the door opened and my uncle was standing there and said "sorry I'm late". He was my dad for the day. He took a 4 hour flight for me.


Lexi: Upon entering the Magic Kingdom, one of the security guards said to Alli ‘Excuse me Princess, can I have your autograph.’ I could see that the book was filled with children’s scribbles as the guard asked the same question of many little Princesses. Alli could not get over the fact that the guard thought she was a real princess.


Jackie: A student at Mango Elementary gave the police officer patrolling her school this note after the Sandy Hook tragedy.




Jay: I took the afternoon off to make the trek to campus and back, a six-hour round trip slogging through the towns dotting Highway 47. I felt this sudden urge to cheer my son on although I was behind on work. I understood that day that the most important thing I could do for my children—just be there, even if it meant going the extra mile, the way my dad did for me, cheering me on.



"My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person, he believed in me." Jim Valvano



By Heidi Shebaro 
Founder of "The Kindness Project in the Middle East", a teacher and a blogger

No comments: